Frequently Asked Questions

Please find answers to topic-specific questions under the relevant sub-headings:

SCITT Programme/Placements/PGCE

Q: Should I opt for a salaried (School Direct) or for a fee-funded (SCITT Core) training route?

NOTE: we are currently not offering the School Direct route for Primary or Secondary (with the exemption of limited subjects) due to changes in DfE funding for  this route.  

Both training routes are school-centred as we believe that this is the best way to learn how to be a teacher. Both routes lead to a QTS qualification with the option of a PGCE uplift. There are some differences between the two training routes; we have summarised the key differences here. If you come for an interview and we decide that the route you have opted for on your application is not the right one for you, your application can be changed post interview.

Q: What is the main benefit of doing the PGCE uplift with St Mary’s University?

A: The PGCE uplift provides you with the option of further academic study and gaining a recognised international teaching qualification. The PGCE is completed in the same time frame as the SCITT programme.  

Q: The trust operates over a wide area - can an applicant specify where they'd like to be placed?

A: When you apply we will look at where you live, what the requirements are of the schools within your area, and your ability to travel.  If you are interested in a particular school, please let us know at interview and we can investigate placement options.

Q: Is there the opportunity for current unqualified teachers/school staff to train with GLF but remain at their current school?

A: We work in collaboration with schools and candidates who are looking to secure teacher training pathways within their current school settings. Please contact us via for more information.

Q: Does GLF cover schools in Deal, Medway or surrounding towns?

A: Yes - when applying you should select the 'TSAT Medway' or 'TSAT Deal' location.

 Q: Does GLF cover schools in the Portsmouth area? 

A: Yes - when applying you should select the Trafalgar School (Portsmouth) location.  Trafalgar School is also linked to Admiral Lord Nelson School and the headteachers will decide which placement is better suited to you post interview.  

Q: Does GLF cover primary schools in Gloucestershire?

A: Yes - GLF is the training provider for Tyndale Primary and Woodlands Primary, both based in Yate.  When applying you should select the GLF South West Primaries location, Yate.     

Q: Would it be possible to keep my part-time job whilst training on your programme?

A: Our primary and secondary programmes are full-time courses, so we are unable to offer part-time training. Trainees are expected to work four days a week in line with teachers and dedicate the remaining day to training. 

Q: What do the SCITT assessments entail in terms of observations and essays?

A: The programme is designed to develop you as a teacher and each of the assessments are in place to offer you the best support so that you can continue to develop your practice over the year. The observations take place on a weekly basis by your mentor and are used to set targets for the coming weeks. 



Q: I have A Levels, but no degree. What do I need to do to become eligible for SCITT training?  

A: To train to teach you would MUST have a degree - ideally an Honours degree with grade 2.2 or higher. Your degree must be accredited from a UK university or be an equivalent international qualification that has been approved by NARIC as being UK degree level. 

Q: What does a degree compromise of? 

A: A first degree comprises of 300 HE credit points of which 60 must be at Level 6 of the QCF.  Any equivalent qualification must be one single qualification, not an aggregation of a number of separate qualifications.  

Q: What if I have a foundation degree?

A: Applicants with a foundation degree will need to supplement this qualification with at least 60 credits at Level 6 (HE Level 3), in order to attain an equivalent single qualification.

Q: I don’t have GCSE English or Maths (and Science for Primary) at grade C (level 4) or above?

You can still apply for teacher training, but we will require you to pass an equivalency test before we confirm any offer that we make. Please click here for more information.

Q: I have Level 2 qualifications in key and functional skills. Are these equivalent to GCSE's?

These are not considered to be equivalent to GCSE's in terms of content. Candidates with these qualifications should sit an equivalency test or a GCSE.​

Q: I have a degree but not in the subject I’d like to teach. Am I still eligible to teach this subject?

A: Ideally, we prefer candidates to have at least an A-level (B grade or above) in the subject they wish to teach (if not studied at degree level). We assess subject knowledge upon interview with a subject knowledge test. Primary candidates do not need to have a degree in a national curriculum subject. MFL candidates should have a degree but this does not necessarily have to be in a language.

Q: What if I no longer hold records of my GCSE qualifications/certificates?

A: As part of the ITT requirements, we need to be in receipt of your degree and GCSE certificates prior to commencing the programme. If you have lost your certificates, we can support in evidencing these. 

Q: What if it has been a long time since I completed my degree?

A: We may recommend that you take a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course prior to starting your teacher training.  These courses are designed to top-up or refresh your subject knowledge. They vary in duration and can be done online, so you can find a course that suits you.  SKEs are only available in shortage subjects.  It is not possible to sign up for an SKE until you have received an offer of a teacher training place from us.  

Click here for more information:

If you are applying for a subject that is not supported by a SKE course, we ensure that you have access to reading lists and contact with your subject department, and may also recommend spending time in your host school before starting your course (all subject to COVID restrictions).    


Overseas Applicants/International Qualifications

Q: What if I am applying from overseas?

A: We welcome applications from abroad but you must have the right to work in the UK confirmed BEFORE you make an application to our course.  If you need further information about visa requirements and eligibility for the UK, please click here.  All applicants must demonstrate high standards of written and spoken English.​ 

Please note that as a SCITT, we do not sponsor Tier 4 or Tier 2 visas. 

From 01/01/21 the new points-based immigration system will apply to trainee teachers from overseas which also includes EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals.  Information on the new visa requirements can be found here.  Irish nationals do not need a visa to train to teach in the UK.  

Following the UK's departure from the EU, it has also been confirmed that most EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals will not be eligible for support from Student Finance for courses starting from September 2021.  Further information can be found here.

Q: I have a non-UK degree - how do I go about assessing whether my degree/qualification is eligible or not?

A: If your degree is from outside of the UK, you will need to contact NARIC to get a statement of comparability. You can also do this for any high school qualifications you studied abroad to determine if you hold A-level and GCSE equivalents. We assess your NARIC statement upon application. [The body will be known as ENIC from 01/03/21]

Q: What if NARIC confirms that English was studied as a second language and is therefore not equivalent to a GCSE?

A: If you studied abroad and do not have an English GCSE equivalent, you can sit the IELTS test. Please click here for more information:

Q: Do you require international applicants to achieve a specific IELTS band?

A: You will need to achieve an overall score of 7.0 (minimum 6.5 for reading and 6.0 writing) if you are taking your IELTS qualification.



Q: I'm in my final year of university and yet to complete my exams, is this a problem?

A: When you make an application, you will need a university reference from your tutor who should state a predicted grade. Any place offered will be conditional on your degree being awarded as a 2.2 or higher.

Q: Do you have any adaptations in the application process or training for applicants with physical and mental disabilities?

A: Please email us via to discuss how we can make adaptions to support your individual needs.

Q: If I wish to apply for the SCITT programme, should I apply directly through GLF or UCAS?

A: You can apply to GLF's Teacher Training programme through either UCAS or Apply (UK Gov. website). We'd advise using Apply as the application process is simpler. We are not able to check applications that are emailed to us beforehand for eligiblity.  

Q: I am already employed by GLF. Would I still have to go through the same application process?

A: As you are applying to an ITT provider, all applicants need to complete the standard application routes  through DfE - Apply to Teacher Training or UCAS


Finance - please visit this page


Assessment Only Route

Q: Do you offer the Assessment Only QTS route to unqualified teachers with a few years of teaching experience?

A: Currently, our AO is on hold, however, we hope to have it back up and running soon. Assessment Only pathways are available to candidates who meet the eligibility criteria. To apply, you would need to hold an unqualified teacher post within a school and have confirmation from the headteacher that you are fulfilling the expectations of the Teachers' Standards at the point of Assessment Only application. Please find more information here.


Early Years Training

Q: Do you offer Early Years Teacher Training?

A: No - we are currently not offering EYTT as Early Years Teacher Training will only allow you to gain Early Year Teacher Status. If you are looking to achieve Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), you will need to train on a Primary programme (which will allow you to teach both EY and Primary once qualified). For Primary ITT, our programme is in the age phase 5-11 years.  


Subject Specific Questions

Q: Do you offer opportunities to train to teach in Psychology?

A: Psychology is offered by our TSAT partner schools in Kent but not within a GLF school. Please contact for more information. 

Q: I have a degree in Dance - would I be able to teach this (or PE)?

A: Yes, you could train to teach Dance on its own or within the PE curriculum.  Dance is offered by our TSAT Kent hub, but not currently by the GLF School partnership.  

Q: If I want to train to teach in MFL, do I need to apply with two languages?

A: You do not need another language additional to the one you want to teach.  However, having being able to offer two languages (French and Spanish) would enhance your placement and employment opportunities.