Equivalency Tests

If you do not have English or Maths GCSEs at grade C or above (or Science for primary teacher training), you can still apply for teacher training, but we will require you to pass an equivalency test before we confirm any offer that we make.

We recommend the following companies who offer equivalency tests:



If you studied abroad and do not have an English GCSE as you studied it as a second language, you can also sit the IELTS test - our minimum requirement is for an overall score of 7.0 with a minimum of 6.5 for Reading and 6.0 for Writing.

If you are applying for primary teacher training then St Mary's University also offer their own equivalency tests for English, Maths and Science: