Eligibility (Primary, 5-11 years)
Candidates will be expected to demonstrate their commitment to a future teaching career, strong subject knowledge and the ability to interact with young people in and out of a classroom environment. We are also looking for strong literacy and numeracy skills, high standards of written English, a willingness to contribute to wider school life as well as personal qualities including: confidence, flexibility resilience, ability to work in a group and under pressure, self-reflection and time management skills. We recommend that candidates read the attached job description and person specification to assist with their application.
Candidates must have:
- A first degree from a UK higher education institution of 2:2 or above (we will consider applicants with a 3rd class degree if you show particular strengths or qualities in other areas). We will consider equivalent overseas qualifications but they must be equivalent to an Honours degree to qualify for a bursary.
- A standard equivalent to a grade 4 in the GCSE examinations in English and mathematics and a science subject. If you do not have these you can still apply for teacher training, but we will require you to pass the GCSE or an equivalency test before we confirm any offer that we make: www.equivalencytesting.com/
- Professional Skills Tests in numeracy and literacy must be successfully completed before starting training; we request that you sit your tests no later than 6 weeks after an offer has been made.
- All candidates must have the right to work in the UK.
- Successful completion of an Occupational Health check. We have a responsibility to ensure that trainees have the health and physical capacity to teach and will not put children and young people at risk of harm.
- An awareness of and commitment to safeguarding issues. We are committed to protecting students in schools and will undertake an Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Disclosure check to ensure that our trainees are suitable to train to teach. We require three pieces of personal ID before a training offer can be confirmed.If you are applying for a salaried place, candidates must have at least two years of full time employment (not necessarily in education).
- We recommend that candidates should have completed at least one week of recent full-time experience in the classroom prior to applying, if at all possible. Any school experience should be reflected in the statement of application.